Saturday 5 September 2009

A dose of realism required and delivered by Walsall

Leaving the dreary 0-0 match today against Walsall I was, of course, disappointed, but certainly didn't think the booing was necessary. Walsall showed that if you turn up with no intention of attacking, when the full backs never went beyond their own wingers (staying as a rigid back four throughout) and that if you come for a 0-0 draw, Norwich (and indeed most League One teams) might not have the guile and quality to unpick the defence. And that is something fans at Carrow Road must learn.

Commenting to my wife that I thought he booing was out of order, I received a torrent of abuse from another Norwich fans who started a tirade against the team, claimed that he could see better down Sloughbottom Park in Mile Cross any Sunday morning, and asked why we had signed players who are not good enough to pull on the yellow shirt. Naturally, I didn't let the ignorance of this chap and his aggressive manner disuade me from putting him right.

The main point this bloke was making was that we needed a central defender who could win the ball, had lots of pace and could confidently pass the ball out of defence. I pointed out that I knew exactly the player he required, but that as Rio Ferdinand was already contracted to Manchester United, he was unlikely to join us.

The bloke looked slightly dumbstruck and didn't seem to understand the point I was making. He seemed oblivious to the fact that Norwich are in League One, has little money and is reliant on Bosman signings so we are getting in the players that we can afford, not world class players capable of playing the in the Premier League.

A further torrent of abuse came about how useless he felt Nelson was in the centre of defence (a player who we felt did well today and didn't really put a foot wrong when defending), and I responded simply with the words "You need a reality check. We are in League One because we were not good enough for the Championship.". He wandered off muttering further abuse as another fan patted me on the back and said simply "Some people cannot gt their heads around our predicament".

Indeed.

No comments: